Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp seemed less concerned when asked about taking a break from Premier League action to play in the FA Cup.The Reds travel to the Molineux to face Wolverhampton Wanderers on Monday, on the back of their 2–1 loss to Manchester City in the league last Thursday.Speaking about the lack of opportunity to get an immediate response to the City loss in the league, Klopp said, according to the club’s official website:“I don’t think about things I can’t change too much.”“I don’t know, it’s OK, it’s like it is, we’ve known it for a while, so it’s not that I feel we have to react immediately in the league because that would feel a little bit like we are insecure about ourselves. We don’t know exactly how it will happen.”Virgil van Dijk praises Roberto Firmino after Liverpool’s win Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Virgil van Dijk hailed team-mate Roberto Firmino after coming off the bench to inspire Liverpool to a 3-1 comeback win against Newcastle United.“When the draw came up and we saw Wolves it was like, ‘wow, thank you very much’ and it’s away. Then we played there and it was really difficult. Now we have to go there again and so it’s a really tough draw and nobody was looking forward to it and saying at the moment of the draw, ‘nice game, let’s go there and win’.”“We have Brighton to come after and it is always a tough place to go, they’ve had a fantastic season. Do I want play Brighton directly after Man City? I don’t know, I didn’t think about it.”“We have now between the Premier League games nine days or so, and in between is a very, very tough FA Cup game. I didn’t think about it, it’s OK like it is.”
Tags Netflix has addressed a study looking at teen suicide and its show 13 Reasons Why. Justin Sullivan / Getty Images On the heels of a study exploring a rise in teen suicide among boys following the Netflix show 13 Reasons Why in 2017, the streaming service says it’s looking into the research.”This is a critically important topic and we have worked hard to ensure that we handle this sensitive issue responsibly,” Netflix said.The study, out Monday from the Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, found that the suicide rate among boys 10-17 increased in the month after the show came out. The study didn’t confirm whether any of those boys had watched the show.”The release of 13 Reasons Why was associated with a significant increase in monthly suicide rates among US youth aged 10 to 17 years,” the study concludes. “Caution regarding the exposure of children and adolescents to the series is warranted.” Netflix said the research is at odds with another recent study, this one conducted by the University of Pennsylvania. “We’ve just seen this study and are looking into the research, which conflicts with last week’s study from the University of Pennsylvania,” a spokesperson said by email. That study found that “viewers who stopped watching the second season exhibited greater suicide risk and less optimism about the future than those who continued to the end.” The study went on to say that those who watched to the end reported a decline in “suicide ideation and self-harm.” They also might be more likely to help a suicidal person. The premise of 13 Reasons Why related to the suicide of a teenage girl. In May 2017, Netflix said it would include an additional warning at the beginning of the first episode, as well as “strengthen the messaging and resource language in the existing cards for episodes that contain graphic subject matter, including the URL 13ReasonsWhy.info.”If you’re struggling with negative thoughts or suicidal feelings, here are 13 suicide and crisis intervention hotlines you can use to get help.You can also call these numbers:US: The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline can be reached at 1-800-273-8255. UK: The Samaritans can be reached at 116 123. AU: Lifeline can be reached at 13 11 14. 0 Post a comment Digital Media Wellness Share your voice Netflix
Shahidul AlamA High Court judge felt embarrased at the hearing of the bail petition for eminent photographer Shahidul Alam on Tuesday.One of the judges of a bench comprising justice Md Ruhul Quddus and justice Khondakar Diliruzzaman was embarrased in connection with the case lodged under the Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Act, said attorney general Mahbubey Alam.The court has ordered the case be sent to the chief justice, he added.Lawyers Sara hossain and Jyotirmoy Barua moved for Shahidul while the attorney general, deputy attorney general Bishwajit Devnath, Amit talukder and Arvind Kumar Roy represented the state.On 5 August, 63-year-old Shahidul was abducted by more than 30 members of the Dhaka Metropolitan Police and arrested for damaging “the image of the nation”.The arrest follows the photographer’s vocal support for student protesters in the city, many of whom were also arrested after taking part in a demonstration in response to the killing of two students by a speeding bus.
Logo of arrestSome 106 cases have been filed against the leaders and activists of the BNP-led 20-party alliance between 1 and 10 November, police records shows.BNP leaders alleged that all these cases are false and fictitious and said cases were filed to harass the BNP leaders and activists.During the dialogue with prime minister at her official Ganabhaban residence on 1 November, the BNP leaders pointed out that BNP leaders and activists are being implicated in false cases.In response, the prime minister assured them that no new cases will be lodged to harass anyone politically.But six cases were filed with six police stations in Dhaka on 6 November, the day the Jatiya Oikya Front held a rally at Suhrawardi Udyan.According to records, the incidents of vandalism, attacks on police, sabotage and blasting cocktails were mentioned in the case statements.The police detained 138 BNP men in connection with the incidents from the spots of the occurrences.The authenticity of law enforcers’ version was not found to be true, according to Prothom Alo’s investigation. Locals in those areas expressed surprise after hearing the statements of the police.“It’s not fair to implicate anybody in false case and without any specific allegation,” National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) chairman Kazi Reazul Hoque told Prothom Alo.The police reportedly saw some people to blast cocktails and vandalise vehicles at Kadamtali intersection of Keraniganj on 6 November. The locals, however, said they did not hear any sound and chaos. Kadamtali was under police control on the day.In connection with the allaged incident of vandalism, the police detained 13 people.The local people, however, said the police detained some people aboard vehicles.According to Prothom Alo correspondents of different districts, between 1 and 10 November, some 100 cases were filed against BNP and Jamaat leaders and activists in Chandpur, Cumilla, Dinajpur, Jalakhati, Kushtia, Sylhet, Barishal, Bagerhat, Sherpur, Kishoreganj, Tangail, Mymensingh, Sirajganj, Brahmanbaria, Narail, Nagaon, Patuakhali, Pirojpur, Bandarban and Chattogram districts.Some 2,380 people were implicated and over 2,500 unnamed made accused in the cases.BNP leaders, however, claimed that all of these cases are fictitious as there is no authenticity of these cases. These cases were filed to confine BNP leaders and activists, they said.Jhalakhati district unit BNP general secretary Monirul Islam said during the dialogue, the prime minister assured the opposition leaders that no new cases will be filed before the parliamentary elections, but there is no implementation of her pledge.He alleged that new cases are being filed and leaders and activists being arrested to stop the opposition from the election activities.A writ petition has been filed with the higher court in connection with the fictitious cases. Jatiya Oikya Front leaders have handed over a list of fictitious cases to the prime minister.After the dialogue with the prime minister, Prothom Alo investigated six cases filed in Dhaka on 6 November.According to a case statement of Tejgaon police station, on 6 November, BNP leaders and activists along with sticks took position in front of RH Home Centre Building at Green Road to carry out vandalism. They allegedly vandalised human haulers. A human hauler, six brick chips and pieces of broken glass of human haulers were seized from the spot, as per the case statement.A person named Sentu sells tea in front of RH Home Centre. Speaking to Prothom Alo, he said his shop was open on 6 November. He did not notice any vandalism of human hauler on the day.Tejgaon police station sub-inspector Shariful Islam, the complainant of the case, said the incident occurred within a brief period of time. So nobody noticed it, he added.The human hauler stand is at the end of Green Road. The Workers Federation runs this stand. Organising secretary of the federation, Monir Hossain, said no incident of vandalising human hauler occured recently.Owner of the seized human hauler Saddam Hossain said the driver of the human hauler went to take tea leaving the human hauler in front of RH Home Centre.On return, he found the police took the human hauler to the police station. Later, they brought the human hauler home from the police station.The police had shown some 41 people arrested from the spot.• This report, originally published in Prothom Alo print edition, has been rewritten in English by Rabiul Islam
Share COURTESY OF THE TEXAS HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES COMMISSIONA left-leaning grassroots organization called the East Dallas Persistent Women released a report last week finding that Healthy Texas Women — a state program intended to provide low-cost women’s health services — is riddled with errors on its website.The program’s “Find a Doctor” tool lists numerous health care providers across the state that don’t actually participate in the program, making it more difficult for women to find physicians who do. In addition, some of the providers are repeats, and several numbers direct callers to offices that don’t provide women’s health care services at all.In a statement, a spokesperson for Texas’ Health and Human Services Commission, which oversees the Healthy Texas Women program, says the agency semi-annually verifies that each provider listed offers Healthy Texas Women services – and the agency will try to fix any inaccuracies. “Nothing is more important to us than making sure women have access to this care,” the spokesperson says.Anice Greiner is a member of the East Dallas Persistent Women and one of the core researchers of the report, titled “Healthy Skepticism: The Inadequacy of ‘Healthy Texas Women’ in 2018.”The EDPW’s report follows a 2011 decision in the Texas Legislature to allocate public funding away from Planned Parenthood, a decision which ultimately drove a quarter of the state’s low-cost family planning clinics, most of them unaffiliated with Planned Parenthood, to shutter. In the aftermath, the state launched the Texas Women’s Health Program and then Healthy Texas Women, as part of its efforts to provide comparable, low-cost care to women across the state.The report also follows a 2015 report from NARAL, a nonprofit organization that advocates for reproductive freedom, which similarly found that women’s health providers listed under the Texas Women’s Health Program were also inaccurate. At the time, Greiner said her group was also concerned about the increasing number of maternal mortalities and repeat teen pregnancies in Texas.Interview HighlightsInterview responses have been lightly edited for clarity.About the report’s findingsSixty-six percent of the providers listed on the site in the counties we did the survey in are not providers [of the Healthy Texas Women program] even though they are listed on the site. In urban areas, that percentage is even higher. In Dallas, it was 81.9 percent and in Harris County it was 70 percent that were not providing. What we found in rural counties was that a very large percentage of them did not have providers at all.CREDIT COURTESY OF EAST DALLAS PERSISTENT WOMENThe “Healthy Skepticism” report looked at 54 counties across Texas and found about 66 percent of the women’s health providers listed on the Healthy Texas Women website doesn’t actually take the program.How the data was collected across 54 countiesWe were very careful to do a large enough random sampling. After we had come to a random list of zip codes, from El Paso to Harris County and all the way down to southern Texas, we went to the Healthy Texas Women website, pulled up each one of those zip codes and pulled up a list of the providers that was within five miles of each one of those zip codes and then we began making phone calls.We asked, “Do you accept the Healthy Texas Women program?” and if the answer was “yes,” then the questions were: “Do you provide pap tests?” “Do you provide breast exams?” “Do you provide STD testing?” “Do you provide contraceptives?” These were just to make sure they were providing what the program said they were providing.One of the things that we were kind of surprised about was the fact that you have providers listed that were MRI clinics, administration officers. There was just a variety of providers listed that have nothing to do with providing women’s health care.How the state’s defunding of Planned Parenthood mobilized themWhat happened as a result of that was that 82 clinics were closed across the state. That’s 25 percent, which made it impossible for women to get the health care that they needed. It made places in Texas where there was no clinic within 200 miles for them to get to, so it was a catalyst.How errors on the Healthy Texas Women site can have serious repercussions for womenIf you’re in an area where you have a list of 25 providers and only one of them is providing services, that’s not doable, that doesn’t work for women in Texas. Something else that we found was that we would make phone calls and a lot of times we’d be on hold for 20-30 minutes at a time. If you’re a low-income person, you don’t have time to sit on the phone. Most of these ladies work and can’t give the amount of time that it would take to sit and hold. It’s just not making it where ladies can get the care that they need.CREDIT COURTESY OF EAST DALLAS PERSISTENT WOMENThe core group of the East Dallas Persistent Women.On being a openly left-leaning groupThe report was done very scientifically. We were very careful to be sure that the group that we pulled was randomly chosen and we were very careful not to insert our political leanings into it. We had someone who does surveys to sound off and give us advice and be sure that our study was statistically random and that we were following the correct procedures.What to do with this informationOne of the things that we hope to do with this study is to go to the candidates who are out there now that will be running in November and give them this report so they now have a useful tool so they’ll be able to advocate for women and women’s health in Texas.