Shanahan Issues Directive for Ending of Military Sexual Assaults Gillibrand Expresses Frustration

first_imgActing Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan issued a sharp memo to top Pentagon commanders Wednesday calling for an end to sexual assault and harassment in the military, Politico reported.“To put it bluntly, we are not performing to the standards and expectations we have for ourselves or for each other,” Shanahan wrote. “This is unacceptable.”The memo included a call to make sexual harassment a stand-alone military crime.A biennial survey of military personnel issued Thursday documented 20,500 incidents of unwanted sexual contact in 2018, an increase over 2016. Enlisted female troops aged 17-24 were at the highest risk of assault, according to a USA Today report.The problem has been a focus for Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.), a presidential contender, and Sen. Martha McSally (R-Ariz.), who announced this spring she had been raped in the Air Force.During a Senate Armed Services Committee confirmation hearing for Army Chief of Staff Nominee Gen. James McConville, Gillebrand bristled about the new survey results, The Hill reported.“I am tired of excuses,” Gillibrand said. “I am tired of statements from commanders that say, ‘zero tolerance.’ I am tired of the statement I get over and over from the chain of command: ‘We got this, ma’am. We got this.’ You don’t have it. You’re failing us.”Army photo by Senior Airman Christopher Muncy ADC AUTHORlast_img read more

Read More..

Netflix looking into study showing spike in suicides after 13 Reasons Why

first_img Tags Netflix has addressed a study looking at teen suicide and its show 13 Reasons Why. Justin Sullivan / Getty Images On the heels of a study exploring a rise in teen suicide among boys following the Netflix show 13 Reasons Why in 2017, the streaming service says it’s looking into the research.”This is a critically important topic and we have worked hard to ensure that we handle this sensitive issue responsibly,” Netflix said.The study, out Monday from the Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, found that the suicide rate among boys 10-17 increased in the month after the show came out. The study didn’t confirm whether any of those boys had watched the show.”The release of 13 Reasons Why was associated with a significant increase in monthly suicide rates among US youth aged 10 to 17 years,” the study concludes. “Caution regarding the exposure of children and adolescents to the series is warranted.” Netflix said the research is at odds with another recent study, this one conducted by the University of Pennsylvania. “We’ve just seen this study and are looking into the research, which conflicts with last week’s study from the University of Pennsylvania,” a spokesperson said by email. That study found that “viewers who stopped watching the second season exhibited greater suicide risk and less optimism about the future than those who continued to the end.” The study went on to say that those who watched to the end reported a decline in “suicide ideation and self-harm.” They also might be more likely to help a suicidal person. The premise of 13 Reasons Why related to the suicide of a teenage girl. In May 2017, Netflix said it would include an additional warning at the beginning of the first episode, as well as “strengthen the messaging and resource language in the existing cards for episodes that contain graphic subject matter, including the URL 13ReasonsWhy.info.”If you’re struggling with negative thoughts or suicidal feelings, here are 13 suicide and crisis intervention hotlines you can use to get help.You can also call these numbers:US: The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline can be reached at 1-800-273-8255. UK: The Samaritans can be reached at 116 123. AU: Lifeline can be reached at 13 11 14.  0 Post a comment Digital Media Wellness Share your voice Netflixlast_img read more

Read More..

Busy StokeonTrent road to be closed for eight hours tomorrow

first_imgGet the biggest Daily stories by emailSubscribeSee our privacy noticeThank you for subscribingSee our privacy noticeCould not subscribe, try again laterInvalid EmailA major Stoke-on-Trent road will be closed for eight hours tomorrow – the council have announced. The A520 Weston Road, in Weston Coyney, will be shut from 8am until 4pm on Monday, January 8. The road will be shut between Harvey Road and Leason Road for a crane lift. Roadworks are set to continue on the road until March 9 – with delays likely. A diversion is planned via Weston Coyney Road and the A50 while the road is closed tomorrow. Read MorePolice officers injured after car involved in crash The road is not the only area where traffic and travel disruption is expected tomorrow. Cheshire motorists can expect delays as the A530 between Middlewich and Rudheath closes for 15 weeks – while Northern Rail faces disruption due to industrial action.last_img read more

Read More..