MHI Vestas and Moray Offshore Windfarm (East) Limited have signed a firm turbine supply order for the 950MW Moray East offshore wind farm in Scotland.Under the contract, MHI Vestas will deliver one hundred of its V164-9.5 MW offshore wind turbines for the project in the Moray Firth. The order includes a 15-year service agreement, MHI Vestas said. This is the company’s largest ever MW project.In May, Moray East announced Fraserburgh as the preferred Operations and Maintenance port for the project and last month, the Port of Cromarty Firth was selected as the pre-assembly harbour.Project Director for Moray East, Oscar Diaz, said: “Moray East is a landmark project for the offshore wind industry, delivering sustainable, renewable generation at a highly competitive power price. The project will bring new opportunities to areas including Fraserburgh, where we have announced the windfarm’s operations and maintenance base will be located, and in the Cromarty Firth, where the port was last week selected as the pre-assembly port.The news from MHI Vestas comes on the heels of its recent announcement that the company’s blade factory on the Isle of Wight received a second blade mould and is in the process of hiring 380 new, direct jobs to keep pace with growing demand.MHI Vestas CEO, Philippe Kavafyan, said: “With the signing of the firm order, we can accelerate preparations for our company’s largest MW project to date. Installing the world’s most powerful commercial turbine, the V164-9.5 MW, in Moray Firth means more local, clean energy jobs in Scotland and across the UK, including our most recent expansion of blade production on the Isle of Wight.”Moray East offshore wind farm is located 22km from the coast of Scotland. In 2017, the project won a Contract for Difference (CfD) from the UK Government to supply electricity at GBP 57.50/MWh. The wind farm is scheduled for commissioning in 2022.
ADES International, an oil & gas drilling and production services provider in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA), has secured a contract renewal for the Admarine 262 jack-up rig in Saudi Arabia. Illustration. Source: ADESADES said in a statement on Tuesday that the Admarine 262 renewal had a five-year tenor, which would be effective upon the expiry of the current contract in April 2020, and would have a higher daily rate.According to information on Bassoe Offshore, the 1982-built Admarine 262 rig has been under contract with Saudi Aramco since November 2014. Bassoe estimates that the dayrate for the extension will be $75,000.Commenting on the contract award, Dr. Mohamed Farouk, Chief Executive Officer of ADES International Holding, said: “We are delighted to secure this renewal for Admarine 262 with our extremely valued and important client.“It further supports our presence in KSA and underpins ADES’s track record for securing renewals for our fleet which results in greater backlog visibility.”Offshore Energy Today StaffSpotted a typo? Have something more to add to the story? Maybe a nice photo? Contact our editorial team via email. Also, if you’re interested in showcasing your company, product, or technology on Offshore Energy Today, please contact us via our advertising form where you can also see our media kit.
City Hall alleged cover-upThe Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) has recommended that charges be brought against City Constable Clifton Pellew for the alleged rape of a minor, who was in his care at the City Constabulary last year.After much public pressure, City Hall turned the matter over to the Police, who following an investigation, sought advice from the DPP on the matter.This publication was reliably informed on Tuesday that the file has been returned to the Police with instructions that the charge be instituted.City Constable Clifton PellewThe incident allegedly occurred when a 15-year-old boy was taken into custody on August 17, 2017 for wandering. At some point during his detention, the minor was reportedly transferred to the Regent Street, Georgetown Outpost, where the alleged incident occurred between August 22 and 23.It was only after allegations made its way into the public domain that City Hall acted on the matter. In the aftermath of the allegation, Pellew and another officer, Corporal Quacy Baveghems, were sacked by authorities. It was at this point that the name of the accused found itself in the public domain.The Local Government Commission (LGC) is also expected to launch a probe into the allegation. Town Clerk Royston King had announced that following the receipt of legal advice, it was decided to forward the matter to the LGC.For its part, LGC Chairman Mortimer Mingo was quoted in sections of the press committing to investigating the matter as soon as possible. It is unclear at present if the Commission is ensconced in an office of its own. Previously, it had met in Parliament Buildings in order to conduct its affairs.ProtestsNot satisfied with the mere sacking of two officers, protesters have been holding impromptu demonstrations in front of City Hall. There have been accusations that authorities have been trying to cover up the issue. This is something that City Hall has denied.CulpableWhile commending the DPP for recommending rape charges, noted child rights activist Nicole Cole stated that the matter did not end there. When contacted by Guyana Times, the Rights of the Child Commissioner, the Child Protection Act applies to persons who knowingly do not report child abuse to the rightful authorities.“I applaud the DPP for recommending the rape charge against the perpetrator because the crime of rape is Guyana has become normalised simply because in many instances justice is extremely slow. Rape of a child or children is a very serious offence in every society,” she related.“The Child Protection Act of 2009 applies here. That Act clearly outlines that all citizens have to report the rape of a child and failure to do so is guilt (by) conspiracy,” the activist said.