Paz is known for his comeback after he broke his neck in a car crash. His story was dramatized in the 2016 film “Bleed for This,” starring Miles Teller.It’s the second time Paz has been arrested in recent months. He was charged with felony assault in January after he allegedly bit a man and knocked out his teeth after accusing him of stealing $16,000. Paz has maintained his innocence and said in several Twitter postings and after being released on personal recognizance that he was the victim.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Five-time boxing champion Vinny Paz, left, appears in court in Warwick, R.I., Thursday, March 15, 2018. Paz pleaded no contest to assaulting his girlfriend, and received a one-year suspended sentence and one year of probation. Paz, 55, entered his no contest plea to a domestic simple assault charge hours after Warwick police forced their way into his home following a call at about 3 a.m. by a relative of Paz’s girlfriend. He was also ordered to stay away from the victim and undergo counseling. (Steve Szydlowski/Providence Journal via AP)WARWICK, R.I. — Five-time world boxing champion Vinny Paz pleaded no contest Thursday in Rhode Island to assaulting his girlfriend, and received a one-year suspended sentence and one year of probation.But not long after he was sentenced, he proclaimed his innocence.ADVERTISEMENT Tim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crown Scarlett Johansson, Sterling K. Brown among SAG Awards presenters LATEST STORIES Cabuyao City rising above the ashes through volunteerism Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil Conor McGregor seeks to emerge from controversy in UFC comeback In Liverpool, Man United sees the pain and path to recovery Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew “Nothing happened. I’m always innocent,” Paz told reporters gathered outside Kent County District Court.Paz, 55, entered his no contest plea to a domestic simple assault charge hours after Warwick police forced their way into his home following a call at about 3 a.m. by a relative of Paz’s girlfriend. He was also ordered to stay away from the victim and undergo counseling, as well as undergo evaluations for mental health and substance abuse.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkPolice said that the girlfriend barricaded herself inside a bathroom out of fear. When officers arrived, they said they found she had been assaulted, with injuries to her face. She was taken from the home on a stretcher and placed in an ambulance.Warwick Police Chief Stephen McCartney told media outlets that alcohol may have been a factor. Paz told reporters outside court that he does not have a drinking problem, and signed autographs for fans as he left. Rockets overcome Clippers to clinch Southwest Division title Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina MOST READ Recto seeks to establish Taal rehab body to aid community, eruption victims Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View comments
Remanded: Marlon JarvisA hotelier on Monday appeared before Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts to answer to the charges of possession of narcotics and bribery.Forty-four-year-old Marlon Jarvis denied the three charges instituted against him. The first charge stated that on April 3, 2019, at Tabatinga, Lethem, Region Nine (Upper Takutu-Upper Essequibo), he was found with 53.4 kilograms of cannabis in his possession for the purpose of trafficking. It is also alleged that on the same date, he was found with 1.59 kilograms of cocaine for the purpose of trafficking. Another charge detailed that Jarvis gave his friend, Samuel Trotman, the sum of $180,000, who claimed he could have the narcotics charge dropped.The defendant’s attorney, Jermone Khan, told the court that his client received a call from his friend, Trotman, who told him that he got into trouble with the police. He then asked the defendant to bring the money, which he would use to bribe the police. However, when Jarvis showed up with the money, he was arrested.Police Prosecutor Gordon Mansfield told the court that on April 3, ranks from Lethem Police Station went to an unfurnished flat structure at Tabatinga and conducted a search when a man was seen running from the premises and made his good escape.Police ranks further investigated the matter where Jarvis, the owner of Marlon’s and Sons Hotel, was arrested.The prosecutor further stated that police ranks were conducting an interview with Trotman when he received a call from Jarvis, who stated that he would bribe the police with $1.2 million for the drugs to be returned to him.Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan remanded Jarvis to prison and transferred the matter to Lethem Magistrate’s Court. The case will continue on April 18, 2019.