Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Bin lorry driver Alex McDaidA LORRY driver charged with causing the death by dangerous driving of a three-year-old boy wept in court today as he was found not guilty by a jury.Alex McDaid, (pictured right) had been accused of killing Patrick McDonagh by dangerous driving in Letterkenny in February 2012. The three year old was killed when the 34 ft lorry reversed over him when he was chasing a ball at Ballymacool, Letterkenny.Mr McDaid, 60, a father-of-five, had told the two-day trial he didn’t know there was anything wrong until he heard screaming and then saw a woman running down the road with a child in her arms.Mr McDaid, a driver with Ferry Refuse Company for 12 years, pleaded not guilty to dangerous driving causing death on February 16th, 2010 but pleaded guilty to not holding a valid driving license.The jury took just an hour to find him not guilty on the dangerous driving allegations.He had pleaded guilty to failing to have an up to date driving license.His lawyer told the court that Mr McDaid had not driven since.“He has lived with this every day of his life,” said defence counsel Christopher Meehan.Judge John O’Hagan fined Mr McDaid €100 for failing to have the up to date license.He told the jury that this had been ‘an extremely emotional case’ and discharged them from jury service for a period of five years.BIN LORRY DRIVER WEEPS AS HE IS CLEARED OF DANGEROUS DRIVING CAUSING DEATH OF TODDLER was last modified: May 2nd, 2013 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
French shipyard Chantiers de l’Atlantique held today delivery and coin ceremonies for two newbuilds owned by Switzerland-based cruise company MSC Cruises. At the event held in Saint-Nazaire, the shipyard delivered MSC Bellissima, the second of the Meraviglia generation of cruise ships and the sixteenth vessel to join the MSC fleet. Welcome #MSCBellissima! The 16th ship of #MSCCruises’ fleet is officially part of the family. #BeautyAtSea pic.twitter.com/JSve65acTk— MSC Cruises News (@MSCCruises_PR) February 27, 2019Following the delivery, the 167,600-ton newbuilding will set sail for Southampton, where it will be named on March 2. With a capacity for more than 5,700 passengers, the new addition to the MSC Cruises’ fleet will become the largest ship to be launched in this UK city.MSC Bellissima will depart Southampton on March 4 to commence its 10-night inaugural cruise to Genoa. From March 17, the vessel will commence 7-night itineraries in the Mediterranean calling Genoa, Naples and Messina in Italy, Valetta in Malta, Barcelona in Spain and Marseille in France.Also on February 27, the coin ceremony was held for MSC Virtuosa, the company’s second Meraviglia-Plus ship. The coin was placed in the keel block by MSC Virtuosa’s godmothers as a symbol of good luck.Joyful moments should always be shared.Take a look at the highlights from #MSCVirtuosa‘s Coin Ceremony.https://t.co/mcsZ13NzB2 pic.twitter.com/utxvjabpKC— MSC Cruises News (@MSCCruises_PR) February 27, 2019As its sister ship MSC Grandiosa, MSC Virtuosa will feature a length of 331 meters, a width of 43 meters and a maximum capacity of 6,300 passengers. It will be one of the two largest ships in MSC Cruises’ fleet when it enters service in 2020.The newbuilds are part of the company’s EUR 11.6 billion investment plan under which the MSC fleet is set to expand to 25 mega cruise ships by 2026.