Paz is known for his comeback after he broke his neck in a car crash. His story was dramatized in the 2016 film “Bleed for This,” starring Miles Teller.It’s the second time Paz has been arrested in recent months. He was charged with felony assault in January after he allegedly bit a man and knocked out his teeth after accusing him of stealing $16,000. Paz has maintained his innocence and said in several Twitter postings and after being released on personal recognizance that he was the victim.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Five-time boxing champion Vinny Paz, left, appears in court in Warwick, R.I., Thursday, March 15, 2018. Paz pleaded no contest to assaulting his girlfriend, and received a one-year suspended sentence and one year of probation. Paz, 55, entered his no contest plea to a domestic simple assault charge hours after Warwick police forced their way into his home following a call at about 3 a.m. by a relative of Paz’s girlfriend. He was also ordered to stay away from the victim and undergo counseling. (Steve Szydlowski/Providence Journal via AP)WARWICK, R.I. — Five-time world boxing champion Vinny Paz pleaded no contest Thursday in Rhode Island to assaulting his girlfriend, and received a one-year suspended sentence and one year of probation.But not long after he was sentenced, he proclaimed his innocence.ADVERTISEMENT Tim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crown Scarlett Johansson, Sterling K. Brown among SAG Awards presenters LATEST STORIES Cabuyao City rising above the ashes through volunteerism Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil Conor McGregor seeks to emerge from controversy in UFC comeback In Liverpool, Man United sees the pain and path to recovery Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew “Nothing happened. I’m always innocent,” Paz told reporters gathered outside Kent County District Court.Paz, 55, entered his no contest plea to a domestic simple assault charge hours after Warwick police forced their way into his home following a call at about 3 a.m. by a relative of Paz’s girlfriend. He was also ordered to stay away from the victim and undergo counseling, as well as undergo evaluations for mental health and substance abuse.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkPolice said that the girlfriend barricaded herself inside a bathroom out of fear. When officers arrived, they said they found she had been assaulted, with injuries to her face. She was taken from the home on a stretcher and placed in an ambulance.Warwick Police Chief Stephen McCartney told media outlets that alcohol may have been a factor. Paz told reporters outside court that he does not have a drinking problem, and signed autographs for fans as he left. Rockets overcome Clippers to clinch Southwest Division title Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina MOST READ Recto seeks to establish Taal rehab body to aid community, eruption victims Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View comments
City Hall alleged cover-upThe Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) has recommended that charges be brought against City Constable Clifton Pellew for the alleged rape of a minor, who was in his care at the City Constabulary last year.After much public pressure, City Hall turned the matter over to the Police, who following an investigation, sought advice from the DPP on the matter.This publication was reliably informed on Tuesday that the file has been returned to the Police with instructions that the charge be instituted.City Constable Clifton PellewThe incident allegedly occurred when a 15-year-old boy was taken into custody on August 17, 2017 for wandering. At some point during his detention, the minor was reportedly transferred to the Regent Street, Georgetown Outpost, where the alleged incident occurred between August 22 and 23.It was only after allegations made its way into the public domain that City Hall acted on the matter. In the aftermath of the allegation, Pellew and another officer, Corporal Quacy Baveghems, were sacked by authorities. It was at this point that the name of the accused found itself in the public domain.The Local Government Commission (LGC) is also expected to launch a probe into the allegation. Town Clerk Royston King had announced that following the receipt of legal advice, it was decided to forward the matter to the LGC.For its part, LGC Chairman Mortimer Mingo was quoted in sections of the press committing to investigating the matter as soon as possible. It is unclear at present if the Commission is ensconced in an office of its own. Previously, it had met in Parliament Buildings in order to conduct its affairs.ProtestsNot satisfied with the mere sacking of two officers, protesters have been holding impromptu demonstrations in front of City Hall. There have been accusations that authorities have been trying to cover up the issue. This is something that City Hall has denied.CulpableWhile commending the DPP for recommending rape charges, noted child rights activist Nicole Cole stated that the matter did not end there. When contacted by Guyana Times, the Rights of the Child Commissioner, the Child Protection Act applies to persons who knowingly do not report child abuse to the rightful authorities.“I applaud the DPP for recommending the rape charge against the perpetrator because the crime of rape is Guyana has become normalised simply because in many instances justice is extremely slow. Rape of a child or children is a very serious offence in every society,” she related.“The Child Protection Act of 2009 applies here. That Act clearly outlines that all citizens have to report the rape of a child and failure to do so is guilt (by) conspiracy,” the activist said.