iStock/Thinkstock(WINTER HAVEN, Fla.) — A 14 year-old boy was taken into custody this week after a gun, ammunition and two knives were found in his backpack, police said.The backpack was in a locker at Winter Haven Christian School in Winter Haven, Florida, the Winter Haven police said in a news release. A semi-automatic pistol with 11 rounds of ammunition, a butterfly-style knife and folding pocket knife were found inside, police said.No one was injured, and “there was never any threat given by the student to harm anyone,” police said.The teen allegedly told investigators he had been listening to rap music “and wanted to bring the gun to feel ‘powerful’ and ‘cool,’” police said.The teen said the gun was his father’s and that he took it from his home the night before, police said.The boy was taken into custody without incident and booked into the Polk County Detention for Juvenile Justice for one count of possession of a firearm on school grounds and two counts of possession of a weapon on school grounds.“This should hopefully serve as a warning to any student who thinks it’s cool to carry a weapon, especially on school grounds,” Winter Haven Police Chief Charlie Bird said in a statement. “There is absolutely no room for ‘cool’ when it involves any sort of weapon in a school with the recent events our country has endured.”Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
iStock/Thinkstock(CLEVELAND) — A Southwest Airlines plane was diverted Wednesday after a crack was reported in one of its windows, the airline confirmed to ABC News.Southwest Flight 957, scheduled to fly from Chicago, Illinois, to Newark, New Jersey, was diverted to Cleveland-Hopkins International Airport and landed “without incident,” according to the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), who said they’re investigating the incident.There were no injuries reported among the 76 passengers, who will now be flown to Newark on a new aircraft, Southwest told ABC News. There were no reports of cabin depressurization and “initial indications” show the crack only appeared on the external pane of the window, the airline said, noting that the window has multiple panes.The Boeing 737-700 “has been taken out of service for maintenance review,” Southwest said in a statement.Social media images show cracks streaking across what’s apparently the same window. Hirsch Chinn, a passenger on the flight, told ABC News other passengers on board quickly changed seats upon discovering the cracked window.“Crew was fabulous,” Chinn added in reference to the flight’s staff.This incident comes a day after President Donald Trump honored the crew of another Southwest flight that made an emergency landing two weeks ago in Philadelphia. On that flight, Southwest 1380, passenger Jennifer Riordan died after an engine exploded mid-flight and a window was blown out.Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
Mario Tama/Getty Images(PUNA, Hawaii) — Kilauea, the volcano in Hawaii that began erupting almost three weeks ago, exploded again Monday evening, authorities said.The latest eruption occurred around 5:51 p.m. local time, according to the Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency, citing a report from the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory.“Eruptive lava activity at multiple fissures continues with one flow entering the ocean,” the agency said in a post on Facebook. “Fissure 22 continues to produce most of the lava feeding the flows.”Lava from Fissure 22 has reached Puna Geothermal Venture property and “county, state, and federal partners have been collaborating closely to monitor the situation and work with PGV to ensure the safety of the surrounding communities,” the agency wrote in its post.Residents nearby should be prepared to leave the area, as gas levels remain high.This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
KABC(LOS ANGELES) — Police are in the process of unraveling the extent of a potential serial killer’s carnage, after he made claims about murders that have yet to be confirmed by investigators.Danueal Drayton was arrested last week in Los Angeles and is set to be extradited to New York in connection with the murder of one woman and the rape of another – both of whom police officials said he met through online dating apps.Drayton had been wanted for the murder of a nurse in Queens who was found dead in her home a few weeks ago, after she met Drayton on the dating app Tinder, New York Police Department officials said.Now, police sources tell ABC News that Drayton is claiming he was involved in three murders in New York and as many as seven murders in total nationwide – though no evidence has emerged to validate Drayton’s additional claims.So far, New York police have only connected Drayton to the Queens murder of the nurse, Samantha Stewart, and a separate rape in Brooklyn.He was arrested in Hollywood, California last week after Los Angeles police said he strangled and sexually assaulted a 28-year old woman he had also met on a dating site.While the prospect of Drayton, 27, being involved in additional crimes has not been ruled out, New York police sources said that no evidence has yet emerged to corroborate his other claims.“He is saying crazy things,” one police official said.While Drayton claims he strangled a man in the Bronx, for instance, New York police sources said there are no unsolved murders in that area that fit his description. So detectives are checking for similar cases across the border in Westchester County, New York.New York investigators now have a wide-ranging investigation underway into Drayton that involves the NYPD’s homicide and sex crimes units as well as digital experts who are probing Drayton’s online activity, including dating websites he may have visited.Last week, NYPD Chief of Detectives Dermot Shea said that while investigating the Stewart murder, police were able to connect Drayton to a separate rape case in Brooklyn several weeks earlier.The “common denominator in these cases — one being a murder and one being a rape — is dating websites,” Shea said at the time. “This individual is known to us and believed by us to be using dating websites to meet women and victimize women.”Drayton was apprehended in North Hollywood on July 24.There, he allegedly strangled and sexually assaulted a 28-year-old woman and refused to let her leave after a date, according to officials in the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office.When Drayton was taken into custody in Los Angeles, he was charged with attempted murder, forcible rape, sexual penetration by foreign object and false imprisonment, according to prosecutors.The case was filed July 26. Bail was set at $1.25 million, prosecutors said. It was not immediately clear whether Drayton had retained or been assigned a defense attorney.Like some other dating websites and apps, Tinder offers dating safety tips to its users.Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) — More than half of the approximately 87,000 women killed in 2017 died at the hands of intimate partners or family members, according to a report released Sunday by the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime.Some 50,000 were killed globally by someone they knew, the organization estimated.That works out to 137 per day — nearly six every hour.“While the vast majority of homicide victims are men, women continue to pay the highest price as a result of gender inequality, discrimination and negative stereotypes,” UNODC Executive Director Yury Fedotov said in a statement that accompanied the report. “They are also the most likely to be killed by intimate partners and family.”The study was released to coincide with the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women.“Targeted criminal justice responses are needed to prevent and end gender-related killings,” Fedotov added.Women in Africa and the Americas are most at risk of being killed by those they know, the data show.While the global rate of female homicide victims is about 1.3 per 100,000, it’s 3.1 in Africa and 1.6 in the Americas. In Asia, it’s 0.9, and in Europe, the lowest reported, it’s 0.7.Despite legislation enacted and programs developed to help curb violence against women by those closest to them, “tangible progress,” the organization said in its statement, “has not been made in recent years.” Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
Photo by Scott Legato/Getty Images(CHICAGO) — Singer R. Kelly was charged Friday with 10 counts of felony criminal sexual abuse involving four minors, according to the Cook County Prosecutor’s Office.The victims are between 13 and 16 years old, according to prosecutors.This is a developing story. Please check back for updates. Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
Bloomington, Minn. Police(BLOOMINGTON, Minn.) — The man who threw a 5-year-old boy over a third-floor balcony at the Mall of America, leaving the child alive but with serious injuries, has pleaded guilty.Emmanuel Aranda, 24, agreed to a plea deal that included a sentence of 19 years in prison, according to ABC affiliate KSTP.The boy, who has only been identified by his first name, Landen, was thrown off the balcony if the Minnesota mall on April 12.The boy is now out of critical condition.Aranda was charged with first-degree premeditated attempt to commit murder.According to a probable cause document, Aranda told investigators he was “looking for someone to kill, but it did not ‘work out.’”Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
Stephen Brashear/Getty Images(WASHINGTON) — Lawmakers on Wednesday grilled the head of the Federal Aviation Administration over how his agency handled the safety certification of the Boeing 737 MAX 8 following two crashes that left more than 340 people dead.Acting Administrator Daniel Elwell faced questions from members of the House Transportation Committee about the FAA’s role in approving the now grounded plane.“The FAA has a credibility problem,” said House Transportation subcommittee chairman Rep. Rick Larsen, D-W.Va. “The FAA must take steps to restore the public’s confidence.”“In the U.S., the 737 MAX will return to service only when the FAA’s analysis of the facts and technical data indicate that it is safe to do so,” Elwell said in his opening remarks. Wednesday’s hearing marked the first in a series of investigations into why regulators or Boeing did not require pilots to go through training for the scrutinized automated safety system suspected in playing a critical role in the two crashes and why that system wasn’t detailed in the plane’s flight manual prior to the Lion Air crash in Indonesia last fall. An Ethiopian Airlines 737 MAX 8 crashed in March.The MCAS, or Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System, is designed to automatically drop the nose of the aircraft if sensors mounted on the nose of the aircraft detect the plane potentially entering a stall, a dangerous situation for an aircraft at low altitude.“How can we have a single point of failure in a modern aircraft?” Rep. Peter DeFazio, D-Ore., asked in his opening statements.He said the the parents of 24-year-old Samya Stumo – killed in the Ethiopia Airlines crash were in the audience.“Their daughter was flying from Ethiopia to Kenya for work when Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302 went down,” DeFazio said. “They deserve answers and accountability, as does the general flying public.”This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
Southbridge Police Department(SOUTHBRIDGE, Mass.) — Police arrested a high school teacher in Massachusetts on Thursday after he allegedly planted live ammunition in one of the school’s staircases.Surveillance cameras at Southbridge High School in southeast Massachusetts allegedly captured Alfred Purcell, a 57-year-old biology teacher at the school, as he removed a live round of 9 mm ammunition from his pocket, dropped it on the floor and quickly left the area, police said. Police said he went back to the area about 10 minutes later and pretended to discover the ammunition. Footage showed him taking a picture of it with his cellphone and using his school-issued portable radio to request assistance.Administrators and a school resource officer arrived soon after and placed the school on immediate lockdown. Purcell returned to his class while school officials investigated the incident.“There was no kids that were injured, nobody was seriously impacted by this other than we went into a lockdown for an hour and we had to investigate a teacher who was doing things he shouldn’t be doing,” Southbridge Police Chief Shane Woodson told ABC affiliate WCVB-TV on Thursday.Police took Purcell into custody after reviewing the surveillance footage. He allegedly told officers that he left the ammunition there to “prove to the school that they needed to get metal detectors.”An officer found 102 live rounds of 20-gauge shotgun ammunition the trunk of his car, police said, noting that his state-issued license to carry a permit had expired.“This individual acted in a disgusting manner. I feel very badly for our students because it is an adult who failed them,” Southbridge superintendent Jeffrey Villar told WCVB.Purcell was charged with two counts of unlawful possession of ammunition, two counts of carrying ammunition on school grounds, disturbing a school assembly, disorderly conduct and disturbing the peace.He has been ordered to stay away from the school and officials said his contract would not be renewed.Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
iStock(NEW YORK) — A man suspected of murdering 17-year-old Bianca Devins alerted police to the killing by posting photographs of her dead body on multiple social media platforms, police said.Now, Instagram is facing criticism from social media users for allegedly failing to swiftly remove the gruesome images.“I have seen the pictures. I will FOREVER have those images in my mind when I think of her,” Devins’ stepmother, Kaleigh Rimmer, wrote on Facebook on Monday morning. “When I close my eyes, those images haunt me.”Instagram users took matters into their own hands by posting photos of pink clouds in Devins’ honor to drown out the images of her untimely death, technology and business magazine Fast Company reported.Police in Utica, New York, say that 21-year-old Brandon Clark — who Devins met on Instagram two months ago — killed her with a knife in the early hours on Sunday, and then posted photos of Devins’ corpse onto Instagram, Snapchat and gaming site Discord.Clark has been charged with second-degree murder, police said.The Utica Police Department confirmed the authenticity of the images in a press release.When social media users reported the images, Instagram, which is owned by Facebook, sent a reply saying that the images had been reviewed, and they did not violate its community guidelines.A spokesperson for Facebook told ABC News that the photos were later removed from the platform. But the company did not immediately say how long the images had been allowed to stay up, or why users had been told the images were in keeping with its content policies.“Our thoughts go out to those affected by this tragic event. We are taking every measure to remove this content from our platforms,” the Facebook spokesperson said.A spokesperson for Discord said in a statement to ABC News: “We are shocked and deeply saddened by this terrible situation. We are working closely with law enforcement to provide any assistance we can. In the meantime, our hearts go out to Bianca’s family and loved ones.”A representative for Snapchat did not immediately respond to ABC News’ request for comment.Clark’s accounts on both Instagram and Facebook were removed after police identified him on Monday, and the hashtags #yesjuliet, #yesjulietpicture, #checkyesjuliet and #yesjulietvideo, which may coincide with Clark’s Instagram handle, @yesjuliet, have been blocked to stop the spread of the images, according to Facebook. The platform is also using technology that allows them to proactively find other attempts to upload the image and automatically remove them before anyone sees them, Facebook said.The platform says they are currently in touch with law enforcement.Devins graduated from high school in June and planned to attend the Mohawk Valley Community College in the fall. The pair had become acquainted with each other’s families, but a mutual friend described their relationship to Rolling Stone as strictly platonic.On Saturday, Devins and Clark went to a concert in New York City and headed back to Utica around 10 p.m., police said. Investigators believe the two had an argument, which led to Clark allegedly killing Devins with a large knife in the early hours on Sunday.Police learned of Devins’ murder after receiving several 911 calls Sunday morning detailing that a man had posted to multiple social media platforms, and stated he killed his girlfriend and was threatening to harm himself, according to a press release from the Utica Police Department.Clark also called 911 and made “incriminating statements with respect to the homicide” and suggested he planned to harm himself, police said. As an officer approached, he began to stab himself in the neck with a knife, police said.After Clark called police, investigators tracked his location and found him lying on the ground in a wooded area next to a black SUV. Police then noticed what appeared to be a body lying beneath a tarp and, when asked about Devins’ whereabouts, police said Clark pulled out his phone and attempted to take a selfie of himself next to Devins’s body.As an officer approached, he began to stab himself in the neck with a knife, according to authorities.Clark was taken into custody and brought to the hospital, where he underwent emergency surgery for “severe injuries,” police said. He is still recovering from his injuries at the hospital and has not yet been booked into jail.In a statement issued by police, Devins’ family described her as a talented artist and “wonderful young girl.”“Bianca’s smile brightened our lives,” the statement read. “She will always be remembered as our Princess.”A vigil for Devins was held in Utica on Tuesday afternoon.Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.