RCMP Inuvik call in outside police force to investigate after woman dies

first_imgIman Kassam APTN National NewsINUVIK — RCMP in Inuvik have called in an Alberta police force to investigate after a woman died while being released from custody Sunday.The woman, whose name has not yet been released, was arrested the night before for public intoxication.According to a release issued Wednesday by the RCMP,  police received a complaint January 9 about a woman believed to be intoxicated walking along Bonnetplume Road in Inuvik.Police said she was “arrested without incident.”According to police, she was brought to the hospital for a medical assessment where “she was considered fit for incarceration by the medical staff.”The woman was then locked in a cell until she was considered sober enough to be released.The following morning, “the female prisoner was in the process of being released from custody when she unexpectedly went into medical distress,” said the release.“RCMP administered first aid on scene and subsequently the female was escorted to the Inuvik Hospital where she was treated by medical staff. She unfortunately passed away.”According to the release, the woman “was co-operative with police throughout her arrest and time in custody.”What is not clear is what happened during her incarceration or how she died.The case has now been turned over to the Medicine Hat Police Services who are conducting an external review of the circumstances related to her death.Staff Sgt. Trevor Humphries told APTN National News that two investigators were dispatched to Inuvik Monday.“The members that were sent were our active members of major crimes,” said Humphries. “So we’re talking about members that are very senior, they’ve very experienced, skilled members that are sent to assist the RCMP and conduct this external review.”Sgt. Ernie Fischhofer and Cst. Jason Ross from Medicine Hat Police Services will be in Inuvik investigating the woman’s death until Thursday, at which point they will return home to start working on a report.Police said it will take several months for the report to be completed.Humphries said a key component of the review will come from the medical examiner’s report.“Autopsies are done quickly, but the final report often times takes several months because toxicology has to be done, and that does not get done overnight, it takes time,” he [email protected]last_img

Write your comment Here