The United States now leads the world in the number of confirmed coronavirus cases.According to a running count by the Johns Hopkins University, the number of people infected in the U.S. is 82,404 as of Thursday evening. That’s just ahead of the 81,782 cases in China and 80,589 in Italy.Italy has the most confirmed deaths of any country with 8,215. To date, 1,178 people have died in the U.S.President Trump said Thursday that he plans to travel to Norfolk, Virginia, on Saturday to see off a 1,000-bed Navy hospital ship that will be used to relieve the pressure on New York hospitals dealing with the influx of coronavirus patients.The President told New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo the ship will arrive in New York Harbor on Monday. Trump added in a White House press conference that he will “kiss it goodbye” and that the ship is “loaded up to the top” with medical supplies.The number of people hospitalized with COVID-19 in New York increased to 3,800 this week, including close to 900 in intensive care, with the projected peak of the outbreak still weeks away.Closer to home, Florida has 2,355 confirmed cases and 28 deaths as of Thursday afternoon, and another 23,741 negative tests, with 1,443 more pending. Miami-Dade County has the most cases in the state, at 616. Broward is second with 504 cases and three deaths, and Palm Beach County is third, with 169 confirmed cases and three deaths.
Council offices across Donegal are now expected to open books of condolence for the late Nelson Mandela.Originally just one book had been opened at Letterkenny Council offices last week.But MEP Pat The Cope Gallagher contacted both Mayor Ian McGarvey and County Manager Seamus Neely suggesting all council offices open books. Both the County Manager and Mayor agreed it was a good idea and are expected to open the books later today.Pat the Cope said he is delighted that everyone across the county will now have the opportunity to honour and remember the former South African President.The offices which will host books are Dungloe, Donegal, Lifford, Letterkenny and Carndonagh, Buncrana, Ballyshannon, Buncrana and Bundoran.Regards ALL COUNCIL OFFICES TO OPEN BOOKS OF CONDOLENCE TO MANDELA was last modified: December 9th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:books of condolenceNelson MandelaPat The Cope Gallagher
This year marked the 55th year founding of the Organisation of African Unity (OAU), presently known as the Africa Union (AU), which is celebrated through Africa Day annually on the 25th May. Africans across the continent celebrated Africa day, an amazing milestone, and a journey all are proud of.Africa Day pays tribute to the achievements made by our heroes back in 1963 who led the way and envisioned an Africa that is filled with greatness, and it is in each and every individual to take the baton – of being the change and make Africa better.South Africa celebrated Africa Day with a month-long celebration of what it means to be African, and a three-day programme with Brand South Africa, Bassline and various stakeholders building up to the 14th annual Africa Day Festival hosted by Bassline now rebranded #BasslineFest which was held at the Constitution Hill.“We are proud to have been part of the Africa Day celebration as want to remind each and every African of our shared history and, to build lasting collaborations with our neighbours on the continent”; said Brand South Africa’s Stakeholder Relationship Manager Ms Toni Gumede.The three-day programme went as follows;Day one – 24th May Bassline in partnership with Brand South Africa, Nelson Mandela Foundation, Constitution Hill, Joburg Tourism and the ‘Red Bus’ company hosted a ‘Trace Mandela Footsteps Tour’. The purpose was to promote the #BeTheLegacy centenary campaign and local tourism.The tour ended in the Mandela House in Soweto, with the official #BasslineFest press-launch lunch where the #BasslineFest headline artists were unveiled. These included the legendary Salif Keita (Mali), multi-Grammy award winners Ladysmith Black Mambazo (South Africa) and the pop sensation Yemi Alade (Nigeria), Sipho ‘Hotstix’ Mabuse, Nakhane and Femi Koya amongst others.Addressing the artists’ and delegates, Chief Executive Officer of the Nelson Mandela Foundation Mr Sello Hatang said, “we are so grateful that you are here, Madiba use to say that music can unite people, can unite nations, you can forget about differences when there is music. It gives us great pleasure that you will be opening the centenary programme in terms of music and you are therefore pioneers in the arts for the centenary programme because you are the first act.”To end off the tour a surprise performance by multi-Grammy award winners Ladysmith Black Mambazo left the audience in a state of awe.“The tour was really an insightful page out of our history book. It was very informative and emotional at the same time. A very special reminder to celebrate Mandela’s legacy and the freedom we are happily enjoying today”, said delegate Ms Nthabi.Day two – 25th May Two dialogues were hosted at the Nelson Mandela Foundation. The first one under the theme “South Africa belongs to all who live in it” was led by Brand South Africa. The second dialogue of the day was hosted by the Gauteng Department of Sport and Recreation and focused on the Role of the Creative Industry in strengthening democracy.“The country (South Africa) has become home for many foreign nationals who not only contribute to the economy but to the colourful nation, we’ve been known to be. I urge that we all build bridges of active citizenry across African nations to better strengthen the main objectives of the OAU, said Brand South Africa’s Board of Trustee, Mr Mzi Malunga as he closed off the session.Day three – 26th May The #BasslineFest which was held at the Constitution Hill celebrated African dynamism, promoted solidarity, social cohesion, anti-xenophobia, tourism, arts and culture under the theme #BeTheLegacy as endorsed by the Nelson Mandela Foundation centenary celebration.Mr Brad Holmes, Founder and Managing Director of Bassline said, “the #BasslineFest is about exposing talent across Africa and contributes to creating a united Africa, a Pan Africa, an Africa without borders”.The #BasslineFest was infused with a market day curated by Soweto’s LoCrate Market team which was an opportunity to buy African food, fashion, art and crafts.Performances had the audiences dancing, screaming and chanting “we want more”. The artists paid homage to the continent with a particular focus this year, on the legacy that is Nelson Mandela.Ladysmith Black Mambazo, Yemi Alade and Salif Keita gave an exclusively crafted performance to pay tribute to Madiba’s legacy.Audiences of the #BasslineFest expressed their sentiments on the various performances on social media; @Tshepuna_Moloi May 26 : I’m in so much awe hlena… #BasslineFest @Pixie306 May 26: I absolutely love seeing Yemi Alade perform #BasslineFest @lulushezi May 26 : #Basslinefest Ladysmith Black Mambazo. My KZN heart is [email protected] May 26 : The #BasslineFest bodied everything I’ve ever been to because @TheRealMambazo was there & then the king, @SalifKeita closed things off with ‘Afrika yeh!’ I wish him good [email protected] May 27 : #BASSLINEFest Ladysmith Black Mambazo did the most, shuuuuuu what a night, LegendaryWatch highlights of the #BasslineFest here: Africa Day Celebration Concert
Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf PLAY LIST 01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC MOST READ LOOK: Loisa Andalio, Ronnie Alonte unwind in Amanpulo for 3rd anniversary LATEST STORIES Liverpool’s Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, left, celebrates with Philippe Coutinho after scoring during the Champions League soccer match between Maribor and Liverpool at the Ljudski vrt stadium, in Maribor, Slovenia, Tuesday, Oct. 17, 2017. (AP Photo/Darko Bandic)MARIBOR, Slovenia — Liverpool rediscovered its potency by thrashing Maribor 7-0, matching the biggest away win in Champions League history and emphatically securing its first win in Group E on Tuesday.Mohamed Salah scored twice to follow up goals from Roberto Firmino, in the fourth minute, and Philippe Coutinho as Liverpool took a 4-0 lead at halftime.ADVERTISEMENT Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Nonong Araneta re-elected as PFF president Rockets rally to spoil defending champion Warriors return BSP sees higher prices in November, but expects stronger peso, low rice costs to put up fight Fire hits houses in Mandaluyong City Firmino added a second goal before Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain — his first for Liverpool — and Trent Alexander-Arnold completed the rout for Maribor’s heaviest loss in the competition.“Our attitude was outstanding — we were spot on from the first second,” Liverpool manager Juergen Klopp said.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutLiverpool started off with draws against Sevilla and Spartak Moscow, but this win lifted the English team to the top of the group on goal difference from Spartak, which thrashed Sevilla 5-1.Liverpool has struggled to turn chances into goals in recent games, notably draws in the English Premier League against Burnley and Manchester United that have dropped Klopp’s team off the title pace. Read Next “We had bad luck in the last three or four games,” Salah said. “Everyone was confident a good result was coming.”It was the biggest margin of victory for an English club away from home in the European Cup or Champions League.Two other teams have also won 7-0 in the Champions League: Marseille over MSK Zilina in 2010 and Shakhtar Donetsk over BATE Borisov in 2014.ADVERTISEMENT Frontrow holds fun run to raise funds for young cancer patients View comments
MOST READ Sports venues to be ready in time for SEA Games PLAY LIST 00:59Sports venues to be ready in time for SEA Games01:27Filipino athletes get grand send-off ahead of SEA Games00:50Trending Articles01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City 2 ‘newbie’ drug pushers fall in Lucena sting Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. LATEST STORIES Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC AFP official booed out of forum Globe Business launches leading cloud-enabled and hardware-agnostic conferencing platform in PH Jaja Santiago gave NU a 14-6 lead in the fourth set as the Lady Bulldogs’ cruised to victory from that point on.“The first game is always exciting and I told my team to always remember to enjoy themselves because they also worked really hard for this,” said NU head coach Babes Castillo in Filipino.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutout“I think what happened in the third set was they seemed to lack the energy and their movements slowed down. That’s our struggle for now but we’ll of course look into it.”Setter Jasmine Nabor then, made a crucial block on Adamson’s Chiara Permentilla to put NU at the 24-13 match point. Super sub: Rozier powers Celtics past Hawks, 119-110 Slow and steady hope for near-extinct Bangladesh tortoises John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding Read Next National University brushed off an earlier mistake and fended off Adamson University in four sets, 25-15, 25-23, 16-25, 25-13, in the opening game of the UAAP Season 80 women’s volleyball tournament Saturday at Mall of Asia Arena.The Lady Bulldogs momentarily lost track of its goal and stumbled in the third set, but the ladies in navy-and-gold ultimately recovered in the fourth frame.ADVERTISEMENT Santiago topped all scorers with 16 points while Aiko Urdas and Audrey Paran had nine points apiece.Permentilla had 12 points to lead the Lady Falcons while the returning Mylene Paat added 11.Although the two teams didn’t show that much disparity in their offensive games, Adamson held a 39-37 advantage in spikes, it was in the defensive aspect that NU differentiated itself with the Lady Bulldogs gaining a 12-6 difference in blocks.The Lady Bulldogs also enjoyed 35 free points due to the Lady Falcons’ errors.ADVERTISEMENT NEXT BLOCK ASIA 2.0 introduces GURUS AWARDS to recognize and reward industry influencers View comments
AA Gent in Crystal Palace talks for Alexander Sorlothby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveCrystal Palace have welcomed an approach from AA Gent for Alexander Sorloth.The Belgians are keen on a loan deal for the Norway international, says HLN.And Palace are happy with the proposal, believing six months away will do Sorloth’s self-belief some good.At Gent, the striker will be reunited with his former FC Midtjylland coach Jess Thorup.With FCM, Sorloth scored 10 goals in 19 games in 2017 before joining Palace for €9m. TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
Southampton boss Hasenhuttl: I know my January targetsby Freddie Taylor10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveSouthampton boss Ralph Hasenhuttl says he’s better prepared for the January transfer window after the hectic festive period.The Austrian looks lightly to make some acquisitions next month with Saints currently sitting one spot out of the drop zone on goal difference.”I knew it from the beginning when I was coming here. I knew exactly what a brutal schedule is waiting for us in the first weeks,” he admitted.”To prepare a new team, to know the new players, how they play and what they can do for you and that’s an important part today to give players a chance. I saw them only for now just practicing and not under pressure in a Premier League game.”If I want to make decisions in January about new transfers I need to know everyone in the team.”Therefore, I need the impressions that I got and it’s an important game for me.”I saw a young Kayne Ramsay who made a good job, I saw Prowsey performed really well and that’s important for me so I can make decisions in January.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say
nick saban press conference sec media daysWednesday morning, Alabama head coach Nick Saban raised a few eyebrows at SEC Media Days when he mentioned that NFL Draft grades, which are delivered on December 15, might have caused some of his players to play “not to get hurt” during his team’s Sugar Bowl loss to Ohio State. The comments were perceived by many, including ESPN’s Danny Kanell, as an excuse for his team’s loss. Saban doesn’t appear to agree.This afternoon, Saban joined Paul Finebaum and defended his statement, clarifying that he wasn’t making an excuse for his team losing the game. He wasn’t thrilled with the whole situation.Glad Finebaum asked Saban to address whether this draft distraction thing was an excuse. Saban accepted blame for the loss. Clears that up.— David Ching (@ESPNChing) July 15, 2015Saban: “It wasn’t an excuse at all for losing to Ohio State. There’s no excuse.”— Saturday Down South (@SDS) July 15, 2015Saban: “It kind of surprises me that somebody in the media would take it that way when you make a suggestion that would make things better.”— Saturday Down South (@SDS) July 15, 2015Whether Saban meant to sound like he was making an excuse or not, that’s the way it came across to many. That being said, he does make a decent point – when players see how much money they can make if they stay healthy, they are naturally more incentivized to preserve themselves. Whether it’s ethically right to move the day back is up for debate.
— This interview has been edited and condensed.By: David Friend – The Canadian Press But that doesn’t mean Reyez isn’t craving recognition. Reyez: That’s definitely my goal… but I’m still a rookie. That’s why I’m trying to do this for the long haul. I’m trying to think of the 10-year plan and the calibre of music I need to make. I’ve been lucky enough to work with a lot of dope musicians. Any time I’m in a (recording) session, I try to walk in like a sponge and take notes, learn and try to get better. Reyez: It was a real story of something that happened to me, so it didn’t really hit me until after (the song was finished). I didn’t even think (of the impact it could have) until me and the producer were done and he was like, “This is crazy.” It messed me up more when we were in meetings and we’d play it. You’d see visceral reactions. You would see some girls just go tense and their eyes tear up because they see themselves in that situation and they went through it. “The last thing I want to do is get too happy,” the fiery 27-year-old musician said of her four nominations — a tally matched only by rockers Arcade Fire this year. VANCOUVER — Jessie Reyez is a leading contender heading into this weekend’s Junos, but the breakout singer says she’s not letting the awards buzz go to her head. The Toronto-raised performer with Colombian roots says she’s excited about her Juno nods and what lies ahead this year. She’s in the running for best R&B/soul recording, best music video, breakthrough artist of the year and the Juno Fan Choice award. Login/Register With: Advertisement Reyez will also perform her single “Figures” on Sunday’s Junos broadcast airing live on CBC. Other nominated acts slated to play include fellow Toronto newcomer Daniel Caesar, Diana Krall, Arkells and Lights. The show at Vancouver’s Rogers Arena will be hosted by pop crooner Michael Buble. The telecast caps off a weekend of accolades for Canadian music, starting at the Juno Awards gala dinner on Saturday where most trophies are handed out. The event will be streamed on the CBC Music website. CP: You have a reputation for laying your emotions bare on the stage, sometimes even bringing yourself to tears when you sing. How do you consistently deliver these raw performances? Reyez: The stories in the songs come from my real life. And it’s kind of like, ah man, at the risk of sounding cheesy, it’s kind of like a wound, like a cut. People want to get over things, so (they) move forward and don’t think about it, but when you make a song, it’s there forever. If you go back to it, and get lost in it, it’s like digging your finger into that cut. I wouldn’t be human if I didn’t cringe when I put my finger in a cut. Facebook CP: You’ve mentioned previously that one of your aspirations is having a shelf of Grammys. That’s pretty ambitious out of the gate. Advertisement