A BBC cameraman killed and a reporter seriously injured

first_img Organisation Saudi ArabiaMiddle East – North Africa Reporters Without Borders strongly condemned the shooting of two BBC journalists reporting on terrorists in Saudi Arabia. Irish cameraman Simon Cumbers died in the fusillade, while his colleague Frank Gardner was seriously injured. News Follow the news on Saudi Arabia Saudi media silent on RSF complaint against MBS News to go further RSF joins Middle East and North Africa coalition to combat digital surveillance RSF_en June 7, 2004 – Updated on January 20, 2016 A BBC cameraman killed and a reporter seriously injured March 9, 2021 Find out more April 28, 2021 Find out more Saudi ArabiaMiddle East – North Africa Help by sharing this information News Receive email alerts NSO Group hasn’t kept its promises on human rights, RSF and other NGOs say Reporters Without Borders has strongly condemned the shooting of two journalists working for the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) in Riyadh on 6 June 2004.Irish cameraman Simon Cumbers, 36, was killed in the attack, believed carried out by Islamist militants, and his British colleague Frank Gardner, 42, was seriously injured.Gardner, the BBC’s security correspondent and a leading expert on al-Qaeda, underwent an operation on 6 June at King Faisal Takhassussi hospital in Riyadh. A spokesman for the British Embassy in Saudi Arabia said his condition was “critical” but “stable”.The international press freedom organisation said it was seriously concerned about this first attack, involving extreme violence, against foreign journalists operating in Saudi Arabia, where their working conditions were already made very difficult by the authorities’ constant surveillance.It is the fourth time in five weeks that Westerners have been attacked in the country. Reporters Without Borders called on the Saudi authorities to carry out a full and quick investigation to identify the perpetrators of the murder.A Western diplomat said that Simon Cumbers and Frank Gardner had been travelling in a car with a Saudi information ministry “minder”. Gunmen opened fire as they were filming in a street in the al-Suwaydi district close to the home of Ibrahim al-Raies, a militant killed by Saudi security forces in December 2003.This neighbourhood is seen as a militant stronghold and home to 15 of the 26 most wanted terrorists in the country. Saudi security forces said the two gunmen fled after the attack.The BBC crew had arrived in Saudi Arabia last week following the attack on the oil-producing city of Khobar in the east of the country. Twenty-two people, 19 of them Westerners, died in the attack, blamed on al-Qaeda. News June 8, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

Read More..

Calls for zero tolerance after ambulance crew attacked Enniskillen

first_img Twitter WhatsApp Harps come back to win in Waterford Homepage BannerNews DL Debate – 24/05/21 Facebook RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Journey home will be easier – Paul Hegarty A West-Tyrone MLA is calling for a zero tolerance approach against attacks on ambulance crew and other health service personnel.Sinn Féin MLA Catherine Kelly has said those on the front line of the health service must be afforded maximum protection.It comes following an assault on female ambulance crew member in Enniskillen last week.The incident happened early last Wednesday morning when an ambulance crew was called to a house in Enniskillen.It’s reported a male attacked a female ambulance crew member, punching her repeatedly in the stomach and head before a police officer, who was already on scene, was able to physically restrain him.The victim of the attack has now been placed onto sick leave as a result of injuries sustained.Speaking after the incident, West Tyrone MLA Catherine Kelly has said the number and serious nature of assaults against ambulance personnel and other health service workers is on the rise.She has called on authorities to adopt a zero tolerance approach to such incidents, saying that “those in the front line of (the) health service must be afforded maximum protection”. Google+ Pinterest News, Sport and Obituaries on Monday May 24th center_img Pinterest By News Highland – March 31, 2019 Previous articleHorgan to make changes for Sligo cup gameNext articleThird Lotto win in Raphoe this year News Highland Twitter WhatsApp Important message for people attending LUH’s INR clinic Facebook Calls for zero tolerance after ambulance crew attacked Enniskillen Google+ Arranmore progress and potential flagged as population growslast_img read more

Read More..

Sinkhole Blocks Wesley Avenue at 17th Street

first_imgA water main break early Sunday morning on the 1700 block of Wesley Avenue in Ocean City flooded nearby streets and left a crater in the roadway.The block is closed to traffic, and New Jersey American Water Company work crews are on the scene repairing the pipeline and the road.Barricades are set up at 17th Street and 18th Street to redirect traffic on Wesley, the avenue closest to the beach on that stretch of the island.The police and fire departments did not have information available immediately on Sunday morning on whether any cars were damaged or had to be removed from the sinkhole.__________Sign up for OCNJ Daily’s free Ocean City newsletter“Like” us on Facebook__________ A water main break left a sinkhole on Wesley Avenue near 17th Street early on Sunday, July 12.last_img read more

Read More..

Standoff with Elkhart man near Claypool ends without incident

first_img (Photo supplied/Kosciusko County Sheriff’s Department) A standoff at a rural Kosciusko County home ended on a quiet and calm note Thursday morning, resulting in the arrest of an Elkhart man.The Kosciusko County Sheriff’s Office says the standoff took place at a home just west of Claypool.Police arrested Quincy Akeem Jenkins, 27, after he peacefully surrendered to officers at the home.Prior to the standoff, Jenkins was observed getting into a utility vehicle, then exiting the vehicle and ran to a nearby home while removing articles of clothing at the same time.Jenkins after being unsuccessful in entering the first home, ran to an adjacent home where he forced entry through a back window.After Jenkins spoke with officers outside through the use of a SWAT robot, he surrendered to authorities. Previous articleStars of the Sixties rescheduled at The LernerNext articleState Police: Osceola man facing drug charges after found dealing from apartment Nick Deranek Facebook Facebook WhatsApp IndianaLocalNews Google+ By Nick Deranek – October 2, 2020 0 445 Google+ Pinterest Pinterest Standoff with Elkhart man near Claypool ends without incident Twitter Twitter WhatsApplast_img read more

Read More..

I needed more time at Arsenal, says ex-coach Emery – report

first_img“Arsenal had been on a downward slope for two years when I joined them,” Emery told France Football.“We stopped the rot and took the club to the Europa League final (where they lost 4-1 to Chelsea) and took fifth place in the Premier League,” Emery said in defence of his tenure that ended in November 2019 after a run of seven games in all competitions without a win.“That season we had qualification for the Champions League in our own hands but it all went wrong.“We lost our four captains (Laurent) Koscielny, (Petr) Cech, (Aaron) Ramsey and (Nacho) Monreal and we really missed them.“Some of our top players didn’t have the right attitude and were asking for more than they were giving.”“I needed more time to manage to transform this club, into the new Arsenal I had been hoping to build,” added Emery, currently without a club.Former Arsenal coach Unai Emery saw his side suffer a 4-1 Europa Leage final defeat by ChelseaRead Also: Bernd Leno: Arsenal can win a trophy this seasonEmery also claimed he could have succeeded at PSG had VAR been in place when his charges were Champions League last-16 victims to Barcelona.“In the home leg we did really well with top-level football (winning 4-0). But in the return we were eliminated because VAR did not yet exist. We lost (6-1) because of refereeing decisions and this was clear.” Former Arsenal boss Unai Emery says he didn’t get enough time to transform the London giants who were on a “downward slope” when he was appointed, France Football magazine reported on Monday.Advertisement Emery had 18 months at the Emirates Stadium after a two-year stint with Paris Saint-Germain and a spell which included winning three straight Europa League titles with Sevilla. Loading… FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 last_img read more

Read More..