Judge rules that press court, not criminal court, should hear “spying” case

first_img August 8, 2014 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Judge rules that press court, not criminal court, should hear “spying” case Covid-19 emergency laws spell disaster for press freedom Receive email alerts Editor still unable to return to Bolivia after six months in exile BoliviaAmericas A La Paz court has ruled on 5 August that the government’s “spying” case against La Razón reporter Ricardo Aguilar and the newspaper’s editor, Claudia Benavente, should be heard by a press court and not a criminal court, as the prosecutor-general wanted.Ruling in favour of Aguilar and Benavente, presiding judge Virginia Crespo said she was taking account of Bolivia’s constitutional provisions, its press law and the international conventions it has ratified.The decision was greeting enthusiastically by the many journalists and civil society representatives in the court, who see it as a good precedent for freedom of information. Prosecutor Héctor Acre said he would not appeal.“We hail the judges’ decision to refer the La Razón case to the press court,” said Camille Soulier, the head of the Reporters Without Borders Americas desk. “It shows the authorities that they are not above the law as regards press offences. But it is just a first step and we still demand the withdrawal of all charges against La Razón’s journalists.”The authorities accuse Aguilar and Benavente of revealing state secrets in an article in the newspaper’s Animal Político supplement on 13 April about the complaint that land-locked Bolivia recently brought against Chile before the International Court of Justice in The Hague in an attempt to recover access to the Pacific Ocean.The prosecutor-general charged Aguilar with “espionage” and Benavente with “complicity” on 22 April. Then, on 7 May, a court ordered Aguilar to reveal his sources for the report within five days.La Razón’s lawyer responded by filing a counter-motion against the judge in charge of the case, Jhonny Machicado, and prosecutor Facundo Coronel, accusing them of incompetence. Bolivia is ranked 94th out of 180 countries in the 2014 Reporters Without Borders press freedom index. February 1, 2018 Find out more Help by sharing this information News News to go furthercenter_img Organisation News News BoliviaAmericas Follow the news on Bolivia Bolivian journalist hounded after accusing boss of sexual harassment RSF_en June 12, 2020 Find out more November 18, 2016 Find out morelast_img read more

Read More..

What Medicaid Means to Xavier’s Family

first_img Healthcare,  National Issues,  Public Health,  The Blog Today, we are sharing the second in a series of stories about what Medicaid has meant for hundreds of thousands of Pennsylvanians.Xavier was born in 2011 with a congenital heart defect. At six-months old he had already reached his lifetime cap. When Jackie, his mom, tried to get health insurance for him, she was turned down over and over again.Xavier’s family moved to Bucks County, Pennsylvania, where Xavier qualified for Medicaid.Medicaid has allowed Xavier’s parents Jackie and Nate to care for him at home and send him to school. Xavier is one of 1.2 million children in Pennsylvania that receive health care through Medicaid.Jackie and Nate didn’t plan to have a baby who was going to need care like this. But he’s here, and he’s thriving with his care. If Xavier loses his coverage, Jackie and Nate would not be able to pay for his care.Like Jackie and Nate, the first thing many parents of a child with disabilities think about when they wake up and the last thing they think about at night is their child’s care and well-being.Governor Wolf is fighting for these parents and the many other Pennsylvanians who wonder every day if their care will be taken away or what will happen if Washington doesn’t do something to make their care more affordable. The Affordable Care Act isn’t perfect — but Washington should be working on reforms to make care more affordable, not less.Please watch Xavier’s story and see why Governor Wolf is committed to protecting quality health insurance for Pennsylvanians. By: Office of Governor Tom Wolf SHARE Email Facebook Twitter April 19, 2017center_img Like Governor Tom Wolf on Facebook: Facebook.com/GovernorWolf What Medicaid Means to Xavier’s Familylast_img read more

Read More..

Ronaldo rape allegation: Nike expresses deep concern

first_imgNike has said it is “deeply concerned” by rape allegations against footballer Cristiano Ronaldo.The US sportswear giant – which has a contract worth a reported $1bn (£768m) with Ronaldo – said it would “continue to closely monitor the situation”, the Associated Press reports.EA Sports, which also has a contract with Ronaldo, made similar comments.Ronaldo, 33, earlier “firmly” denied assaulting Kathryn Mayorga at a Las Vegas hotel in 2009.Ms Mayorga, a 34-year-old US former teacher, was inspired to speak out by the #MeToo movement, her lawyer said.”The MeToo movement and the women who have stood up and disclosed sexual assaults has given Kathryn a lot of courage,” Leslie Stovall said. What did Nike and EA Sports say?In a statement, Nike said: “We are deeply concerned by the disturbing allegations and will continue to closely monitor the situation.”Meanwhile, EA Sports told the AP: “We have seen the concerning report that details allegations against Cristiano Ronaldo.”We are closely monitoring the situation, as we expect cover athletes and ambassadors to conduct themselves in a manner that is consistent with EA’s values.”In a separate development, Juventus – the Italian club Ronaldo joined from Real Madrid for £99.2m in July – came out in defence of its player.In a tweet, Juventus said: “Cristiano Ronaldo has shown in recent months his great professionalism and dedication, which is appreciated by everyone at Juventus.” How has Ronaldo responded?The Portugal international had previously said the allegation, first reported in German magazine Der Spiegel, was “fake news”.On Wednesday, he issued a statement through his Twitter account:IDer Spiegel said Ms Mayorga had filed a report with Las Vegas police shortly after the alleged incident. But the next year, she reportedly reached an out-of-court settlement with Ronaldo involving a $375,000 (£288,000) payment for agreeing never to go public with the allegations.Her lawyers are now seeking to declare the non-disclosure agreement void.In a lawsuit, Ms Mayorga says she met Ronaldo at the Rain Nightclub in the Palms Hotel and Casino, and that he raped her in his penthouse suite.Mr Stovall said his client had suffered from major depression and considered suicide since the alleged assault almost a decade ago.He said a psychiatrist had diagnosed Ms Mayorga with post-traumatic stress disorder. Las Vegas police confirmed on Tuesday they had initially investigated a complaint in June 2009, but added they had no suspect in the case.”At the time the report was taken, the victim did not provide detectives with the location of the incident or suspect description,” a statement said.”As of September 2018, the case has been reopened and our detectives are following up on information being provided,” it added.Ronaldo’s lawyers have previously said they will sue Der Spiegel magazine over its reporting.last_img read more

Read More..